NYCPHP Meetup

NYPHP.org

[nycphp-talk] XML Manipulation

Ben Sgro (ProjectSkyLine) ben at projectskyline.com
Thu Aug 16 10:34:31 EDT 2007

Hello all,

After the XML vs SQL conversation, I started to rethink a product I'm working on.
I had been having a lot of trouble modeling the data into SQL. It was starting to
look very complicated.

So, I decided I would try to store it in XML. The data I am storing is messages w/in a thread,
timestamp, body and subject. On the SQL side, we create a table that has the user id,
and a row per message/thread which contains a path to the xml file.

The reason XML seemed better is that I store the data top down and that is the true
order of the thread. Messages within the thread can come from email or html page response,
so its important to insert items into the thread via the timestamp. Using XML just made it
simpler for me to wrap my head around, than trying to model it in SQL.

Anyways, my question is about which XML parser package to use.

I'm sure PEAR has one, and I like PEAR stuff. I'm sure PHP Classes has something as well.
Maybe YOU have a library that's open source.

What are some pros/cons of XML parser librarys. I'll need to read and write XML, plus easily
convert the xml into php arrays so I can manipulate them in PHP.

My codebase is OOP 5, so I'm willing to extend an existing class if need be.

Thanks!

- Ben

Ben Sgro, Chief Engineer
ProjectSkyLine - Defining New Horizons