NYCPHP Meetup

NYPHP.org

[nycphp-talk] [0T] Comcast as ISP -- opinions?

Anthony Wlodarski aw at sap8.com
Tue Aug 21 16:03:57 EDT 2007

I happen to live in an area where FiOS is in direct competition with my
Comcast line, good news for me I got a good bump in connection speed.  I
maxed out at about 64mbps the other day, insanely fast just to browse the
web.  I know other people in the community also got a bump in speed as well
from Comcast as they don't want anyone to leave (so for the same price I get
a bump in speed, go consumerism!).

But I have also heard good things about FiOS but make sure your neighborhood
has access to it.  Also in regards to your friends server David, I tried to
do that once with Verizon, they saw the bandwidth traffic and blocked the
port 80 incoming requests, that's when I called up and they said I was
violating my TOS when I decided to host a web server at a residential IP
address.

Anthony Wlodarski

Senior Technical Recruiter

Shulman Fleming & Partners