NYCPHP Meetup

NYPHP.org

[nycphp-talk] Setting up outgoing mail using Linux

Allen Shaw ashaw at polymerdb.org
Wed Jun 11 11:25:20 EDT 2008

PaulCheung wrote:
> Thanks for that, it didn't work either.Everything appears to have been
> sent but the email never arrives or is it sent?
Hi Paul,

You want to make sure you're analyzing the situation in detail, looking
for evidence that will indicate the source of the problem.  That is,
avoid trial-and-error debugging in which you change some code, run it,
and then just wait to see if the email comes or not.  At this point
(that is, since you're asking for help on it) you should be beyond
trial-and-error.

For example:
- check the return value of the mail() function.  I believe it returns a
boolean based on success or failure. (Check the manual to be sure.)
- can you get access to the apache error logs, which might contain some
information about an error?

I also assume you have asked your hosting provider for help on this?  If
you have, their reply might offer some clues to people here who want to
help you.  And you've scoured their documentation for references to
sendmail and php?  It's possible they have some specific requirements
for sending mail from scripts.

- Allen

--
Allen Shaw